1. Place apples in a 2-quart square baking dish.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 tablespoon of the mixture. Stir cornstarch and salt into remaining sugar mixture and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over apples in dish.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of thewater over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until all of the dough is mostened. Form into a ball.
4. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch square, or to fit your dish. Cut decorative vents in pastry. Carefully place pastry over apples. Using the tines of a fork, press edges to sides of dish. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with the reserved sugar mixture.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
171 calories, 5g total fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 1g protein
2 fruit, 1 fat